Fletcher is Growing up Fast!

Lilypie

Sunday, January 13, 2008

New Obsession

As I have mentioned in an earlier post, I had gotten some photo albums from my grandmother's house and over the past several months, have scanned over 100 photos into my PC. There are photos of my mom and her 6 siblings when they were children, my grandfather (my moms dad whom I never knew) when he was young, my grandmother and her family, and a generation or two back from there.

Around Christmas I saw an ad for some genealogy software that would allow me to attach photos to people or events within a family tree. My mom got this software for me for Christmas! Once I finished scanning all the photos from the albums, I loaded up the software onto my PC and plugged in all the information that I already knew into Family Tree Maker and got some dates, etc. from other family members. There are still some information that I need to fill in and I need to set some limits for myself, like get all the info for 5 (?) generations before going back any farther than that.

With my Family Tree Maker software, I got a free 1 month subscription to Ancestry.com that allows access to all kinds of really cool stuff that I can also attach to the people in the family tree. For example, I have Birth Indexes for several family members, draft card for my mom's grandfather, found the Passenger list from the ship that brought Ed's mom and her parents and siblings home from Panama Canal Zone (Ed's mom born was born there because her dad worked there), and a family tree on One World Tree that may trace Fletcher (through Ed's maternal grandfather, "Buddy Bus" Bussey) back about 100 generations.

Now this (the tree mentioned in the above paragraph) is where I began to get completely obsessed and overwhelmed and doubting the validity of the information (King of the Danes, really?) and decided that I absolutely had to limit myself before making myself insane(r)! Just think about it: you start with one person (Fletcher), add all the people you actually know (about 80 or so family members) and before you know it you have over 600 people in your index based on other info! Genealogy grows exponentially (every one person has two parents with 2 family lines, who each have 2 parents with 2 family lines, and so on) very quickly!

I let you know when I get to Adam!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jo- Your experience made me smile! I became obsessed with the genealogy process several years ago (maybe around the time Emma Kate was born?), and I became very overwhelmed. My grandfather shared his stories, photos, and papers with me- and this jump-started my hunt for a "complete" family tree. I used the same software you have, got pretty far, then became busy. I hope to get back to it one day. Enjoy your new obsession! (Let me know when you trace Ed back to the apes... Just kidding, Ed!).
-T

Joanna Clausen said...

Hee, Hee! Yeah, I started my genealogy search pre-Fletcher and got lots of info from my Aunt Linda (family historian with a memory for dates, names, etc.) and have a file folder with lots of facts, however, my file is in storage. Uggg!

Anonymous said...

The Bussey family tree I have goes back to sometime in the 1600's. It is drawn up in 'tree' fashion. The trunk shows 3 Bussey brothers that came to America. If I remember correctly, it follows all 3 for a few generations then goes forward with just our line. It goes up through my birth, & perhaps my younger brother, George. On our copy we have added Ed & Cathy.

An interesting story - When we lived in Virgina we met another Bussey family who had an extensive family tree. We got together with our trees to look for a connection. The only one we found was a side note on each of them stating that they were related to William the Conqueror!

Keeping up with family and friends and posting lots of photos of Fletcher